Review Class 4 Assignments – How’d it go?
Assignment from last week: –
Supplements – detox - digestive enzymes, probiotics, Facebook group for accountability and sharing
Assignment for next week & health discussion
Let’s talk toothpaste/ fluoride is toxic! – (kiss my face, spry as options), gum (pass out pieces)– options, benefits of oil pulling: whitens teeth, strengthens teeth, gums, jaw – prevents cavities & gingivitis, banishes bad breath, relieves headaches, helps you sleep better, clears sinuses, detoxifies the body
Salad dressing cautions & options… honey and lemon, apple cider vinegar, garlic, olive oil... vegannise or hummus on veggie sandwiches/ black bean burgers,
Reasons you may not be losing weight:
1) Your body is operating from an energy deficit (Mike mentioned this a couple of weeks ago).When there is a chronic energy deficit (fewer calories coming in than going out), over time the body starts thinking food is scarce. This results in the body holding on to fat as a way to protect itself. To make an analogy, think of your body like a house. If you’re not making enough money to pay your electricity bill, what do you do? Well, you turn down the heat in your house to compensate. The body operates in a similar way. When there are not enough calories coming in, the body saves energy by reducing body temperature (slowing the metabolism), turning down digestive juices (making digestion weaker), reducing the pulse, and slowing thyroid function (resulting in less energy). This is a built-in survival response by the body, to help you go longer on less food. This is often induced through calorie counting and dieting.
2) You’re not healthy yet.Weight loss is not a priority when your body and internal organs are not nourished. You can’t short-cut to weight loss, it should come only after the body is healthy enough to do it naturally.
3) You’re eating food that exceeds your body’s current digestive capabilities.When you eat food that exceeds your body’s ability to digest, those foods end up work against you. This is common in people who are struggling with nutritional debt. Nutritional deficiencies make the body more sensitive to harder to digest foods, particularly dairy and gluten. Often it’s necessary to remove those foods while you work towards nutritional wealth. When your body gets richer so-to-speak, then you can usually add them back in without problems.
Also when you’re eating food you can’t digest– you’re NOT actually absorbing and assimilating the nutrients you are actually eating. So in turn this creates MORE nutritional debt. (we discussed the importance of digestive enzymes last week – especially with cooked food)
4) You cut out all carbs.When you’re not eating enough of the right carbohydrates that are essential to stimulating metabolism and the conversion of thyroid hormone (T4 to T3) in the liver, weight loss is unlikely. Without an adequate store of carbohydrates (glycogen) in the liver, the body will not make enough of this very important thyroid conversion. An easy way to self-check yourself is by taking your body temperature first thing when you wake up in the morning. If it’s lower than 97.8 degrees upon waking, your inability to lose weight is probably related to #1 and/or #4.
- Find a great healthy recipe and bring it in to share next week.
- Read Chapters 9 & 10
Made to Crave – C6 - 8
Quotes to cling to this week
“Growing closer to God has more to do with positioning my heart toward His” – Yes, I am going to get healthy: but….. the deeper reason for choosing to purify myself is to grow closer to God.
I will become a person of self-discipline to honor God and live out the fruit of ‘self-control’.
“That food choice is permissible but not beneficial; therefore, I choose NOT to eat it.”
“My issues with food will NOT hold me back in my calling and commitment to Christ.”
“God’s divine power gives me all I need to experience victory in my struggles!”
“I will define my week by obedience.”
Reflective Questions and Sharing – we will cover more of these next week since we did not complete them as well as some from C9 and 10
Pg 67 2 - 5
Pg 76 2, 3, 5
Pg 84 1, 3, 6